Monday, August 20, 2012

Four-Sentence MIFF Reviews #13-14: The Pirogue, Something From Nothing: The Art of Rap


The Pirogue (Moussa Toure)

Over 10,000 West Africans have attempted to escape their home countries in pirogues: basically a big canoe. Over 5000 have drowned in the attempt.
The Pirogue follows one such boat-ful of asylum seekers.
Too many characters and not enough back story for any of them meant I was not as involved in their fates as I felt I should have been.
But that storm - truly frightening (and not for the sea-sick of stomach).











Something from Nothing: The Art of Rap (Ice T)

Ice T chats to lots of his rapper mates about the truly awesome thing that is hip hop and lets them spit straight to camera.
Hilarious, intimate, and pleasantly unconcerned with presenting a 'representative' sample of artists.
Snoop Dog on his song-writing process: "First, I gotta smoke a LOT of weed."
Warning: in-seat dancing may occur.

And that's it for my MIFF films this year! Suppose I'd better go back to work. Hmph.

No comments: